- Testing application with an intention of identifying defects is called software testing.
- Testing ensures the quality of the product.
- Testing should be done during software development.
- Testing is the process of verification and validation.
- Verification involves inspection,meetings, walk-through, reviews etc.
- Validation compiles the software whether it meets the requirements of the organization or not.
- Verification is done at the beginning of software development phase while validation is performed at the end of development phase.
- Testing measures the quality of the product .
- Testing does not require any special knowledge but, need to go through the requirement document of the product and test it according to it.
- More the defects you find in the product more quality will be achieved.
- This is a fact that 100% bug free product/software can not be achieved since we all are human beings.
- A person is a good tester if he/she can break the product/software against the requirement.
Why testing is necessary?
- Human beings can make mistakes, those mistakes can be small but can prove to be very dangerous. There are several incidents where due to minor bug in a software product result into lives loss, business loss thereafter resulting into damage to image of the company.
- To avoid such loss companies started to look testing as an important aspect of the software development.
- Initially testing was done by software developers but after a period of time companies started hiring a Test team to test the application in an efficient manner through different process.
Testing can be performed in two ways:
Testing application without using any automation tool is called manual testing. OR Executing test case without using automation tool is called manual testing.
How to perform manual testing ?
i)Understand the requirements.
ii)Writing Test cases.
iii)Perform test of written test cases.
iv)Reporting bug in the bug report.
Testing application by running test scripts is nothing but automation testing. OR Testing software with the help of automation tool by running test script is called automation testing.
There are different automation tools available like Selenium, Watir, Robotium, TestComplete, QTP, SoapUI, TestDrive etc.